Many are familiar with the movie Da Vince Code, which is a movie based on the concepts of the “swoon theory”. According to that theory, it basically claims that Jesus escaped death by using a substance that had him knocked out unconsciously which made him appear to be dead, healed by the ointments in the tomb, and escaped with Mary Magdeline eastward to later have kids and die a natural death. Some say that he died as the mysterious Yuz Asaf in Kashmir. But either way, I believe that theory fails with major flaws under logic and medical tests!Let’s include some statements from unbelievers such as Richard Walters that state that it was highly improbable that Jesus died on the cross under 12 hours (approx. 3 hours) since the process took longer than that. The evidence they have to support this idea was Pontious Pilate’s amazement at Jesus’ sudden death, the blood that was drawn after his piercing, and the shroud of Tourin. Also, it was recorded by the Jewish historian Josepheus that some including his own friend had survived the crucifixion indicating that it was possible.Now lets use logic, history and science to indicate otherwise:
1. You must take an account of these biblical and historical facts in order that precede Jesus early death on the cross and NOT just isolate the crucifixion itself which is included in the following:
a. Jesus was under extreme stress! According to Luke 22:44, Jesus began to sweat blood. This is medical condition “hematohidrosis.” Around the sweat glands, there are multiple blood vessels in a net-like form.” Under the pressure of great stress the vessels constrict. Then as the anxiety passes “the blood vessels dilate to the point of rupture. The blood goes into the sweat glands.As the sweat glands are producing a lot of sweat, it pushes the blood to the surface – coming out as droplets of blood mixed with sweat.
b. Jesus gets beaten by members of the Sanhedrin, the Jewish High Council.
c. Jesus gets flogged (“scourged”) with a Roman flagrum, similar to a “cat-o-nine nails”. It had three “tails”, each with a little metal dumbbell-shaped attachment that digs into the flesh. It was considered so cruel that it was illegal to flog a Roman citizen.
d. Jesus is beaten with wooden reeds (like “caning”).
e. Jesus gets slapped and punched by a group of Roman soldiers.
f. Jesus has a cap or thorns pressed onto His head. Middle Eastern crowns of the period were not little circles like a British or French crown. The were like the mitre worn by Roman Catholic bishops.
g. Jesus is tied to the crossbeam that will be attached to the vertical post. Crossbeams typically weighed about 40 pounds (20 kg).
h. Jesus has to walk up a hill to the crucifixion site. He falls several times and the soldiers have to force a bypasser, Simon of Cyrene, to carry the beam.
i. At the hilltop Jesus is untied. He is then nailed to the Cross. The nails are put through His wrists not His palms, as commonly depicted by artists. One foot is put on top of the other and a nail is driven through both of them.
j. Jesus is left on the Cross.
k. The body of Jesus is stabbed in the side with a Roman lancia.
2. Here are problems associated with Jesus “just passing out from exhaustion” or even “being drugged” from a Forensic stand point:
a. Once Jesus passed out, He would have hung in a “Y” position, with knees bent. Experiments with volunteers have proved that in that position lung muscles become paralyzed from strain in just a few minutes. Within 6-12 minutes a person stops breathing and will die of asphyxiation if the strain is not removed. This isn’t speculation, it’s scientific fact established by direct observation.
b. With the blood loss from the flogging and the further loss from the stab wound, Jesus would have gone into hypovolemic shock (shock from extremely low blood pressure caused by bleeding). Without a transfusion and with nothing to stop the internal hemorrhaging He would have died, probably within hours.
c. With the internal bleeding and build-up of fluids Jesus would have died from congestive heart failure. Pathologists generally agree that this was a contributing cause of Jesus’ death.
d. The Gospel of John says that when Jesus was stabbed blood and water came out of His side. A number of forensic pathologists have examined the descriptions (and, in some cases, information on the Shroud of Turin). They all agree that there is no way water could have come out. But, they agree that the heart is surrounded by the pericardium, which contains a watery fluid and a lance thrust would have extracted this fluid, which would look like water. The thrust would also have pierced the heart, drawing accumulated blood.
e. Even if Jesus didn’t die of asphyxiation and even if He didn’t die of congestive heart failure and even if He didn’t die of hypovolemic shock and even if He didn’t die from the internal hemorrhaging itself, He had a large, deep, open chest wound through at least one lung and probably the heart, with internal bleeding. This would have caused internal infection and in a few days He would have died of sepsis, i.e., infection. The Bible says Jesus appeared to hundreds over a period of forty days after the Crucifixion.
3. Some such as the Muslims may argue that Jesus was actually hung on a tree according to 1Peter2, Acts 5, 10, and 13 as opposed to being crucified on a cross according to Matt 13, Mark 15, and Luke 23. Well this is up for debate and interpretation. The cross is made of wood and when you are crucified, you are technically hung. The point is that Jesus was crucified and died!! Even after his death, Jesus showed his disciples his piercings on his hands to show that he was crucified. Also, Jesus died a Roman crucifixion, in which they used 7-inch iron nails driven to the wrists. This could be confirmed by an archaeological find in Jerusalem in 1968 when bodies of crucified victims having 7-inch nails driven through their feet with small pieces of olive wood still attached. When you read the new testament scriptures such as Luke, it clearly states that Jesus carried his cross and was crucified by it. In fact he even needed assistance because he was so badly beaten, he couldn’t have carried it all the way. Now I could hardly imagine Jesus carrying a tree on his shoulder.They also make claim that according to the Qur’an that Jesus was not hung but someone else instead took his place. I’m sure that his own mother, Mary and his close friend, Mary Magdalene would’ve not easily mistaken their own Jesus’ identity. It’s also very difficult to believe that all the Romans, Jewish officials, and the massive crowd during and after the crucifixion, at the same time could’ve all been fooled and mistaken his identity for someone else. Peter his disciple witnessed the whole event, so did John and so did Simon from Cyrene who knew Jesus and held his cross for him when Jesus was too weak to carry it. Besides, who in the world would want to take Jesus’ agonizing place of extreme torture and punishment and for what reason? Peter himself, one of the closest to Jesus even denied Him out of fear!!! Furthermore, Jesus even predicted his own death and resurrection through the following: Matthew 16:21 – From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, chief priests, and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.Luke 18:31,32 – Jesus took the twelve aside and told them, ‘We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled. He will be handed over to the Gentiles, they will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him, and kill him. On the third day he will rise again.’Now here is both reliable non-Biblical sources from Romans and Jews, who weren’t even Christians that wrote about His death:
a. Cornelius Tacitus in his Annals, xv. 44: Christus … was executed at the hands of the procurator Pontious Pilate.
b. Lucian of Samosata: (Christ was) the man who was crucified in Palestine
c. Talmud, b. Sanhedrin 43a: On the eve of the Passover Yeshu [Jesus] was hanged [or crucified]. … Since nothing was brought forward in his favor he was hanged on the eve of the Passover.
d. Amoa “Ulla” (Ulla was a disciple of Youchanan and lived in Palestine at the end of the third century) adds: “And do you suppose that for (Yeshu of Nazareth- Jesus) there was any right of appeal? He was a beguiler, and the Merciful One hath said: “Thou shalt not spare neither shalt thou conceal him.”It is otherwise with Yeshu, for He was near to the civil authority.There is no evidence supporting the Qur’an and it was written 600 years after the lifetime of Jesus. It contradicts every historical document and questions the claims of eye witnesses in the Bible.
4. Here is the problems associated with Jesus being sedating with vinegar: THERE ARE NO EVIDENCE!! When you read the actual verses you notice that Jesus was offered the vinegar which doesn’t explicitly say that he drank it (Mark 15:35-37, Matt 27:47-50) or he strictly refused the drink (Mark 15:13) and finally sipped it with his lips but refused to drink the rest (Matt 27:24). Even if he was sedated, can one actually think that he would sleep and not endure the rest of the pain that came after such as the piercing through his heart by the lance??
5. Also take an account that the Roman soliders were disciplined EXPERTS in killing and torturing their victims. There would of been no way every single Roman guard present, including Pontious Pilate, the centurion that pierced Him, or the crowd would’ve mistaken Jesus not dying. They did not bother to break Jesus’ legs like the thieves next to him because they realized he was already dead. Those guards, if accessory to a hoax or not completing the act, would of risk their jobs or lives for the sake of a conspiracy!! Even in ACTS 12, when the Angel let Peter escape, King Herod had all the guards on duty executed. Also in ACTS 16, the Roman solider took his own life after Paul escaped prison because he would rather die by his own sword then get executed by his own fellow Romans!!
6. Now lets say that Jesus, under all the circumstances of logic and medical science noted above, still managed to survive against all odds. He then was placed in a cold, dark, isolated cave, guarded by the elite Roman guards and Jews. But yet, others say that His beaten, stabbed, hungry, crucified, corpse-like body, managed to get up after nails had been ran through his foot and had enough energy after 3 days without medical attention, to walk upright and push this huge stone slab at a decline sideways from the inside without any assistance and sneak pass the guards who took no notice to it the whole entire time!!! He then walked several miles, evading the entire Romans and Jews in a dangerous territory covering thousands of miles as a convict, in which everyone would’ve recognized Him by that point. He soon appeared to his scared and despaired disciples while He convinced and inspired them ( in the horrid state of condition he was in) that he was the way, truth and life to salvation. Now how does that make any sense??? Seriously???
7. Finally, despite all the facts and circumstances I just mentioned, Jesus still managed to survive and flee to Kashmir or Palestine. He would’ve pulled the greatest Houdini escape act ever in the history of mankind. Another theory is that His own disciples stole the body. This is very unreasonable because it would make all the New testament writers liars and crazy by risking their own lives and embarking on a self-defeating conspiracy by getting beaten and tortured in the name of a lie! How would they even get passed the guards without being noticed. Some Jews offer their explanation that the Roman guards were asleep. (a) If the Roman guards were asleep, how did they know that it was the disciples that stole the body and (b) why would they admit to death from the capital crime that they were asleep on duty? So, would He ever be worthy of veneration, dignity, respect and honor after decieving humanity of His life, death, and resurrection?? What kind of man, prophet, or angel, would lead his own people to die for Him by claiming to be Christ and fake his entire ministry and death, thus condemning all nations??? What would be His motive to commit such an horrid lie? Well, the final verdict? Under the careful examination using logic, history, science and credibility of the Bible, eye witness testimonies, my conclusion is that Jesus was crucified and died on the cross. The “Swoon theory” clearly fails in every way possible. Terrible attempt for those that postulated that because its nothing more than a fantastic imagination that is hopelessly flawed! It’s very difficult for anyone to believe that he was physically alive and manged to escape after all that would be absurd. I would love to know how and why they would think its possible!! Please enlighten me.
2. I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist
More related Blogs:
Historical Jesus and what the early Church Christians believe he was
Did Jesus die on the Cross and Resurrect?
Was Jesus a copy of the other gods like Horus?
Why does God allow Evil and Suffering?
Where did Morals come from?
What the Bible says about Reincarnation
What the Bible says about Astrology
Did Mary assume into Heaven?
Nephilim, Fallen Angels, Giants, and sons of God
Book of Mormon VS The Bible
Why Won’t God Answer my Prayers?
Why I CAN’T be an Athiest. Athiesm is illogical
Why did God order Genocide and murders in the Bible